Sunday, October 31, 2004

Many Hours

I worked yesterday for 16 hours. I am thoroughly disgusted by the fact that I must do a least 54 hours a week at my job to etch out an existence that resembles something of a normal life. That coupled with the knowledge that there are many at my place of employment who try to stop me from having overtime in a very dishonest way and some who are just out and out jealous that I have been granted the opportunity for overtime.

I wish that I did not have to do so much, if any, overtime. But should I not, my family literally would not eat. My base salary is so low that it necessitates my doing massive amounts of overtime. I do not do it for fun. I left my place of employment Friday night at 11:30 PM. After commuting for over 1 and 1/2 hour (there was a train delay that added to my regular 45 minute commute) I arrived home at 1:15 AM, Saturday morning. I then, after sleeping only a few hours, got up at 5:15 AM that same day and was out of the house and back at work by 6:31 AM. I designated myself as the person from management who opens up the job on Saturday as it provides me with ample overtime and quiet time as I am the first there for about 2 hours before anyone arrives. I get in early to work as the train systems of NYC are notorious for messing up on the weekend, so it alleviates any stress I may encounter on NYC Transit by leaving so early that there is no way I can be late on a Saturday to open up shop. If I didn't do it, management would look completely irresponsible as the rest of management trickles in on Saturday usually after our workers have arrived. I don't want management to look bad so I have accepted the responsibility knowing that this pads my check. This responsibility is a secondary concern to me as padding my check is my primary concern. Secondarily is allowing my workers to arrive at a job that is up and running, and having them able to clock in with no delay. Often, before I was promoted to management, I would arrive to work on Saturday and would have to wait in the lobby because management was late opening up shop. I lost precious time off of my check because I could not clock-in. And of course I was never given any recourse for re-coping time lost as that would point the finger at management's irresponsibility.

Usually during the course of my Saturdays at work I have person of all positions, workers and management, who try to figure out how many hours that I do in an attempt to figure out how much I am being paid. I find that offensive, and usually reply to their questions of when did I get in with an answer of "early". I never give a direct answer. Sometimes, if I am feeling defensive, I'll ask the person, "Why do you want to know?" They then usually slink off knowing I am ticked off at them questioning me. Persons in management who are nosy have apparatuses that allow them to look up my arrival and departure times and have actually went to my bosses to complain as to how many hours that I am doing in the hopes of stopping my ability to get overtime. My boss has chased them out of his office with the retort that I can get as much overtime as I want as I am dependable, and never abuse the time, as when I am in the office, I am WORKING, and am not slouching off like some of them. He stated that he can depend on me, unlike them. Some of those same person who tried to block my overtime, who were in management before I was, I would see years ago near the job, running because they were late to open up the shop on a Saturday morning, one so hilariously, with a shockingly white fat stomach that was exposed by a blowing wind raising up his shirt, while unwillingly jogging up Wall Street.

Many of management are resentful because they have been made salaried which means they are unable to get overtime hours. I have heard through the grapevine that their salaries are abysmally low. I understand that frustration. However for them to try to stop me from getting overtime because they can't is beyond evil. I did not put them in the financial constraints that they are in. I am having the same kind of financial issues as they are, but do not complain to those on the job as I deem that inappropriate. I do it on my blog, and to my friends, and to my family, but not on the job. I suspect because I don't complain about money on the job that it is assumed that I must be OK because I receive what they deem "a lot of overtime". Yeah, right. It seems that they believe I am privileged when in fact I know I am being used. I noticed that I am one of the few in management that was not made salaried, and I think I know why. My boss knows my personality enough to know that I would have not stepped foot on my job on a Saturday as I would not do any overtime once I was salaried AND salaried at a rate that wouldn't allow me to support my family. In addition I know my boss understood that not only would I not do overtime, but that I would eventually leave after finding other employment as it would be clear to me how much I was valued at my place of employment after becoming salaried. While I was on vacation and was not there on 3 consecutive Saturdays some workers came to me after my return and said the shop was not opened on time for 2 of the three Saturdays that I was out. Some of the supervisors told me that two managers argued as to who would open up on one of the Saturdays and one flat out refused.

In no way do I think I am being rewarded by being allowed to do overtime. It is a maneuver by my bosses to keep someone who they know works, is quiet, and responsible. They in turn allow me to have overtime. It is not a reciprocal relationship as I believe the bosses are getting the better end of the deal. What I find the most difficult about this situation is the resentment I feel from co-workers that I believe is misplaced. We are all in the same situation as people who are underemployed and underpaid. And for co-workers to not direct whatever resentment they have toward the entity that brings it forth and funnel it into activities that will force the bosses to treat us all more respectfully, monetary and otherwise, is beyond stupid, and only results in us hurting each other. I wish my co-workers could be more conscientious and aware. But until such time, I will be on the look-out for persons who try to block whatever perceived advantages that I may have.



4 Comments:

Blogger Radmila said...

Iam constantly amazed by the amount of time some people spend on the job measuring, and counting the "priviliges" and what they consider to be unfair to them. If some people spent as much time working as they did compartmentalizing, and comparing their benefits to their co-workers there would be a lot more work accomplished and a lot less misconception.
In my job, one overheard fragment of information out of context can evolve into a freakin' conspiracy theory.
Some people live to make other peoples lives a misery.
The fact of the matter is that as long as you do what you need to do to get by and your employer sees that, fcuk the rest of them.
Nosy b*stards.
Keep going on those interviews.
Chin up, foot forward.

5:17 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Radmila, I so hear you on people spending more time on stuff that doesn't concern them than on actual work.

TBNY, "nosy-ness" is so inappropriate at work as it is usually about finding out what someone else is being paid, instead of watching their own bottom line.

People are so weird, and nasty.

Thanks for commenting.

11:02 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Yes, it is. And I have no choice but to do the hours.

5:38 PM  
Blogger healthyblogger said...

Essential oils, roots and herbs can be used in a variety of ways to promote healthy living and stress reduction technique. They are used to create natural remedies for treating ailments common to both people and animals, to add flavor to food, to make perfumes and to create environmentally friendly cleaning products.

You do not have to own a garden to tap into the benefits of plants, roots and herbs. A few herb pots located by a sunny window are enough to get you started. Then, all you need are some essential oils and you are ready to go.

For therapeutic purposes, only the purest oils will do. It is possible to be fooled into thinking that you are purchasing a pure oil. Often, a lesser quality blend of several oils is used to mimic the properties of the pure oil. Blended oils are acceptable for fragrance purposes such as for perfuming a room, but pure oils are a "must" for medicinal purposes.

A reasonable guide to the purity of an essential oil is its price. Pure essential oils are generally more expensive. Common oils such as lavender and geranium are much cheaper than frankincense and carnation oil. It is advisable to become familiar with essential oil prices and then rely on this knowledge when purchasing oils from unfamiliar sources. Keep in-mind that you will generally get what you pay for. A price list from a reputable dealer is a valuable resource when purchasing essentials oils.

Usually, pure essential oils cannot be applied directly to the skin and must be mixed in a base oil to reduce their strength. Base oils such as almond oil or wheatgerm oil are commonly used for this purpose. Base oils are generally derived from seeds, nuts or vegetables and allow you to create essential oil remedies that can be massaged into the skin.

So, what do you need to get started with essential oils and natural remedies?

Without a doubt, Lavender is one of the most useful and desirable oils. Not only does it work wonders on cuts, bruises and burns, it also aids sleep and helps with relaxation.

The Tea Tree and Eucalyptus oils are useful for treating a variety of respiratory ailments. These are excellent for the treatment of colds and coughs. They can be massaged into the chest or burned in an oil burner to help clear the airways and prevent congestion. Tea Tree oil is a natural antiseptic and can be dabbed on cuts, bites and stings. It is often used to treat spots and pimples and when diluted with water, acts as a mouth gargle (keep in-mind it should never be swallowed).

Another basic antiseptic is Geranium oil. With its distinctive perfume and pain relieving properties, it is a necessary inclusion when starting out.

Peppermint oil should also be purchased as it treats digestive complaints and may be used in preparations for freshening breath.

For fragrant perfumes and establishing ambience in a room, buy some Patchouli and Ylang-ylang oils. Often combined in scented candles and air fresheners, a few drops of each in an oil burner creates a wonderfully perfumed home. Orange oil mixed with Cinnamon oil is a lovely winter alternative that evokes seasonal, holiday smells. Besides their perfume qualities, all four of these oils have other properties. Patchouli treats eczema and dandruff. Ylang-ylang is reputed to relieve stress, palpitations and high blood pressure. Orange is used in natural remedies for depression and nervous tension and Cinnamon is excellent for warts and viral infections.

The herbs, Thyme and Rosemary can be grown in pots and used when needed. To create essential oils from herbs, stew some large amounts in pure water, collect the steam and cool it. The oil will rise to the top of the drained water and can be collected with an eyedropper. Alternatively, a "flower still" can be purchased to make the job easier. Thyme and Rosemary are both antiseptics and can be used in skin care preparations. They are also delicious when used in cooking.

Lemon oil and fresh lemons will purify water and, when mixed with honey, are effective remedies for colds and flu. Lemon and white vinegar are highly efficient cleaning agents that can be used for domestic cleaning tasks without damaging the environment. Use white vinegar as a natural disinfectant or mix it with water to clean windows and wooden floors. It is also handy to keep a bottle of white vinegar in your car if you swim in the ocean. It will bring instant relief from jellyfish stings.

Citronella oil is perfect in summer to keep the insects at bay. Another natural repellent is Garlic. Fleas will not bite a dog that has been eating garlic, so a few garlic capsules in the dog food are a cheap solution to your pet's flea problem. A soft collar soaked in Citronella will also do the job.

Garlic also helps to promote a healthy immune system when the weather turns cold and viruses begin to circulate. In fact, most of the oils and herbs listed above are effective in helping to prevent many common winter illnesses.

Whether you are looking for remedies or nature friendly products to use around the house, the oils and herbs suggested above should help get you started. You will be ready to make some healthy changes in your way of life!

stress reduction technique

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in NewsGator Online
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >