Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Anxious for New Money

There is a position for which I qualify that has been posted via my job's e-mail. I will be applying for this job clandestinely, and will not inform my superiors of my department. I hope that the position offers more money as the raise I recently received does not keep the wolf away from my door. When I met with my Director during my review he was extremely complimentary and said he could only give me but so much of a raise, and then told me I got a 4.5% increase. I just looked at him and blinked. My raise, what my employers call an increase, is not an increase to me because my salary before the increase was a joke. So 4.5% of 0 is essentially 0. I knew that I would not get a double digit raise, but crossed my fingers that I would be pleasantly surprised. And though I know my Director was somewhat sincere and has his hands tied somewhat behind his back, this raise amounts to nothing, and as such I must make moves. My applying for this job within my company will suffice for a first move of what I can be assured will be many in my quest to make enough money to subsist comfortably.

I have to gear myself to be scrutinized from head to toe; assessed to determine if I am good enough for the job, if I am qualified for the job, and will be brow beaten when interviewed, for the job. Essentially when going on job interviews I feel as though I am being judged and compared to all those who are applying for the position. This is a given and somewhat appropriate for the interviewer to do, but none the less, this type of scrutiny causes me angst. I must therefore put on more than my usual game face, and gear up for the challenge of being impressive in my eloquence and my presence. It is a damming exercise in fortitude when applying for a new job as it conjures up, for me, many insecurities, many of which are unfounded. But I will put these insecurities aside as monetary constraints are calling out to me as the victor in my inability to own a home, have money in my pocket, and purchasing groceries.
It's been about a year since my last job intrerview when I picked up part time Christmas seasonal work. It was so challenging for me that when I was done in the interview and told I would be hired, I cried, discreetly, on the bus home as it helped to release the tension that built up during the week before the interview. Job interviews have always proven to be, for me, excrutiatingly draining, though the interviewer would never know it. My game face and demeanor are always tight. However, inside my stomach is usually churning from nervousness. I will apply for this job as it is good to explore the possibilities of higher paying employment. I am comfortable with the duties of my current job, but not with its pay.

14 Comments:

Blogger Radmila said...

Necessity is the mother of invention....who said that?
It's usually something that pushes us out of our comfortable places and forces us out in to the world to seek something better.
Congratulations, and good luck.
Personally, I never stop looking.
Never stop practising going out on interviews.
The process is always changing, and I find that the longer between interviews, the more stressful for me.
It also helps to be interviewed when I don't really NEED the job. I don't emit that sense of desperation, it helps me give the appearance of confidence and control.
I hate interviews.
I stress over them.
But, in my field there is usually a panel of interviewers, so the pressure is strong.

3:19 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Radmila, no matter how many times I interview, it kind of throws me off kilter, the anxiety that interviewing entails. I hear you loud and clear in the assessing of the interviews as something one must do to get out of a rut.

Thanks for commenting.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Radmila said...

Practice only helps me give the "appearance" of being in control and confident.
I hate interviews.
But, I'm also a firm believer of forcing myself to overcome my fears.
Oy my nerves!

I fear public speaking too.
I look at my husband, who himself is a "stutterer".
He teaches classes and workshops for his company.
He has been my inspiration.
If he can overcome his fears of public speaking, what's my excuse?
I have none.

5:58 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

I hear ya' Radmila. A lot of it is smoke and mirrors, but it about whatever can get you through the day, and to be able to do so in a dignified manner.

Your husband is an inspiration to us all. And you're right, if he makes no excuses for himself, why should we? So, we must forge ahead, and appear to have it toghther, which, ultimately, we truly do.

That initial butterflies-in-the-stomache is a killer, though. LOL!

6:18 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Thomai, I will breath deeply when I inteview.

Thanks for the advice and for commenting.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Radmila said...

HA!
You hit it on the head.
It's more smoke and mirrors than we all think.

We're all human, and those interviewers are human too...some are just less inclined to view themselves as the humans that they really are.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Fresh said...

Best of luck but stick to your guns about the raise! Know what you are worth. Sometimes those minute raises will push you into a different tax bracket and you wind up not seeing the extra money and struggling just as hard if not harder to pay the bills. I guess it keeps you constantly striving for more if the wolf doesn't eventually blow down your door.

12:51 AM  
Blogger TLC said...

Thanks Berry for your good wishes and comments. And you economic overview is so on point, and sad. (sigh)

Radmila, that is an important part of the equation of the interview - The Interviewer. Hopefully we all have a decent one when interviewed.

Thanks for commenting

1:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are always skating on thin ice when you go on an interview. You have to sell yourself without seeming too arrogant. You have to show you are eager for the job without seeming desperate. So much depends on reading the interviewer also. What is the correct answer for one may not be the correct answer for another.

The best way to interview is to start while you are working somewhere else. When we walk into an interview really needing that job it is like already having two strikes against you. They can smell desperation.

About the raises, it has been a poor year for most people when it comes to salary. When the job market is as poor as it has been, companies don't worry about you leaving for another position so they have a tendency of skimping on the raises. The best thing we can do is ride it out and leave when the going is good. Good luck on the interviews TLC.

Chris

2:55 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Thanks Chris for your excellent points.

April, thanks so much for you encouragement.

Thanks for your comments.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Marn said...

Have your tried wearing a low-cut blouse?! (I'm just kidding!)
Interviewing just wipes a person out, doesn't it? I have always reminded myself never to take it personally because when I see some of the people that have advanced into better positions - people who are unprepared and can't do the job - it just reminds me that a lot of "wrong" people are chosen for the job during interview processes. You don't always have that much control of the process itself. Decisons could be made because the interviewee is more attractive than another, or younger, or knows a personal friend, etc. The person doing the interview could be angry that day, depressed, mad because he/she was cut off in traffic by someone wearing a blouse similar to yours...you never know. It's such a double-edged sword. Just do your absolute best and knowing that you did, is all that should concern you.
Good luck!

2:46 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

MJ, you are so right that the interview is not really about the reality of the person being interviewed but about nepotism, cronism, if the interviewer is feeling ok that day, if they're a clothes horse and like or dislike your taste in clothes, etc. It is a surreal experince to say the least, and essentially about the luck of the draw; did the stars align for the interviewee that day.

Life's not fair, but when given lemons one must make lemonaide. (sigh)

Thanks, MJ, for commenting.

9:39 PM  
Blogger ALD said...

At my last job, I was given a very good rating and a 1.67% raise. That day marked the beginning of my job search, which was accelerated a few months later when I was reassigned against my will.

9:44 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

ALD, wow, that's like a one-two punch to the gut. Good review, but 1.67% raise AND a re-assignment.

Thanks for commenting.

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in NewsGator Online
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >