Monday, September 27, 2004

The influx of millions

It is 11:00 PM and I sit in an office tower that is empty. It was, during this Monday, bustling with thousands of people, who are now probably sleeping in their beds, and will be waking up in a few hours to the hustle and bustle that is NYC. And I wonder how many of us that occupy this building during business hours, making millions of dollars for our employers, reap some of the benefits of those dollars? How many of us are living from paycheck to paycheck, and through our due diligence and moral character, work at our occupation with the express intent to do the job we have contractually signed on to do. And that contractual obligation is to make our bosses richer, through the tireless work that we do while we, who are further down the totem pole, can barely rise above the ensuing sea of daunting bills.

As I look at the roster of some of Fortune 500's companies in the lobby of the building in which I work, and feel the quietness of the lobby at night, I know come 8:00 AM, express buses and subways will discharge the mighty workers of NYC who are aware, just as I am, that the system is not quite fair to those who work diligently and honestly at life. There are the haves and the have nots, and certainly the have nots are immeasurable in comparison to the haves. We, the people, are the ones whose labor rewards the owners and power brokers of the companies we work for, and therein lies the inequity of the situation. The work that you put out is not often rewarded fairly, but often, rewards only those at the top of the totem pole, for they are the ones who broker the deals to establish and sustain the companies for which we work, and therefore feel entitled. Because of this feeling of entitlement they then establish a system that hires underlings to do the hard work of the company that brings in wealth, and then systematically distribute the wealth garnered primarily to those at the highest point of the hierarchy of the business while those at the bottom receive a pittance of the wealth that they have worked so hard to acquire for their bosses.

The system is brutal and very self-evident. There is truly no pretense as to who is benefiting and who is not. And we the people often have no way to combat what we know is an unfair situation. Is the answer unionizing, sick-outs, sabotage, etc. to get the point across to the-powers-that-be that the little man is a vital component, if not the most vital, than those who sit in the corner offices? Or do we fight the good fight subliminally by working honestly and diligently knowing that we are doing the right thing and hoping things will change somehow because of karma? Or perhaps do so knowing that the power structure never changes because the power is in the hands of those who have the deepest pockets, and surrender to the inevitable continuation of the little man being used and abused? The quandry that is big business is never ending in its brutality.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. ~Winston Churchill

Chris

6:43 AM  
Blogger TLC said...

Chris, thanks for commenting. I get were your going with your quote. However, I think it is more of an issue of capitalism and how it's evolved within the confines of democracy.

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry TLC, it was the best I could come up with that early in the morning. However here are a few thoughts.

I will agree that CEO salaries are excessive to say the least. In the 90s, CEO's salaries increased 535% compared to the average worker whose salary increased 35%.

I am not sure I totally agree entirely with this post though because when it comes down to it, nobody is forced to work for any particular company. If you feel you are being treated unfairly you have every right to quit and find a new job or even create your own business. (I realize that circumstances in our lives sometimes make that difficult to impossible due to family situations or finances but it is still a possibility).

I think the only solution is to get a good education which will enable you to get a job that you can enjoy. Other then that I guess you can try what the French did in 1789 or the Bolsheviks in Russia in 1917. Neither one resulted in a Utopian society I am afraid.

Chris

7:21 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Chris, no need to apologize. Your second post elaborated on where I knew you were going with your first - and that is for someone who does not like working for a job that is not rewarding, to pick up and start their own business, as this can happen within a democracy that allows for such dreams to be realized.

Thanks for posting. Always good to hear the views of others.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Radmila said...

As my uncle has told me all of my life:
"Democracy is an illusion. There is no such thing as democracy. At least communism tells you not to expect anything. Democracy gives a person the illusion of opportunity. Back home, we work to live...here we live to work"

The irony is that my uncle is one of the biggest capitalists you will ever meet.

I agree with Chris though. We can always find excuses for why things "won't work", or why we "can't do it". There will always be a reason not to upgrade, be persistent, put the extra effort in, and so on.
Where there is a will, there is a way....but only with a lot of sacrifice, hard, hard work, long hours, dedication, and positive attitude.
All of us have been to that interview where from the first 5 minutes you know that one of the interviewers has already decided your fate...maybe just based on what you look like, or a gesture, or a wrong answer.
That you've just wasted an hour of your life.
I think that it's hard to keep your chin up and not be discouraged.
This is something I struggle with on a regular basis...I meet people in higher positions than me who (in my opinion) have no right to be there. But, a positive attitude, and a willingness to make friends (even with people who you normally wouldn't choose to be friends with) is very helpful in moving ahead.
Nepotism is very alive and thriving. You have to play the game or get left on the bench.

That has been my experience.
I rubbed the wrong way for a long time, and got nowhere. The latter part of my career moved a lot quicker due to my change of game plan.
Not for "them" but for me.
I'm pretty sure I've moved totally away from your point in your post...but what else is new for me...
LOL

9:32 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Great post, Radmila. I get what you're saying. I guess it's working with what you're given. Understanding what the system is and working within its confines. Very realistic. Hard work and perserverance is not all that it takes, sometimes, to get ahead, and roll with the big boys. Sometimes a dash of cronyism, a splash of smiling for people you can't stand, will get you to the place in your work environment that you need to be. Dealing with a little bit of unpleasantness to get ahead, instead of griping about the situation, doing what may be unpleasant, to make it better.

I get the message. Thanks for posting.

9:47 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Thomai, always good to hear from you. GREAT post as you break it down from a spiritual and racial perspective. I imbibe all that you write. Don't worry about the typos. :)

Thanks for your comments.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in NewsGator Online
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >