Monday, October 11, 2004

Random Acts

Sometimes during quiet moments I think about the course of my day, and remember the encounters I have with people who've I met, but with whom I am not friendly. Retrospectively, I think of the kind acts they have bestowed upon me, and smile.

When traveling, I sometimes realize, after sitting on the plane, that the person who checked me in gave me a better seat than the one presented on my ticket. When traveling on a trans-Atlantic 12 hour flight, I was pleasantly surprised with an upgrade that was given unbeknownst to me. I only realized after sitting that I have been upgraded to a seat that had 2 vacant next to me an was located in a front row of seats and the next row was about 12 feet in front of me allowing me ample room on all sides.

When arriving at John F. Kennedy Airport for a 2 1/2 week vacation, I forgot that JFK and all other airports in NYC have no post office boxes, and I had a bunch of mail that I erroneously thought I could drop off there. After remembering when I saw no post office boxes and inquired for confirmation that per 9/11 they had been yanked out, I asked a proprietor of a store what could one do to get their mail in a p.o. box, and he said he would mail it personally, after he inquired about the mail's contents. I blinked and thanked him profusely and offered to give him something for his effort which he refused.

I walked away with a big smile on my face. I was happy that my mail was going to be posted, but I was happy more so because someone understood my situaltion and out of the goodness of their heart did something for me, a stranger, and that made me feel good.

There are so many incidents of this kind that after getting home I think about and am able to fill me up with the goodness that they exude. The guy who reached a seat on the train that we were both aiming for, who sees me, bows, and lets me have it. The lady who holds the door open for me. The woman walking behind me who sees that the tag to my shirt is sticking out of my blouse and sticks it in saying she does that all the time too, and no one tells her, so she is not only telling me but putting it down my shirt. These nice acts are the ones that pile up in my mind into a mound of goodness. And I often am not able to drink up this goodness until I get home as when they are happening they go by so quickly. But though they are quick, they are meaningful. They, these kind acts, make up the fabric of everyday existence.

It is moments like these, random acts of kindness, that re-enforce my view of the world. My view can be somewhat clouded at times by the few, but none the less, devastating acts of nastiness that I sometimes encounter, but I do believe in the good of people. I believe this good is inherent.


11 Comments:

Blogger Radmila said...

There are the days when we appreciate those random acts of kindness. Those days when a ray of sunshine reminds us that people can be really good to one another.
Then, there are those other days...when everyone you come in contact with presents themselves as an obstacle.
Thank goodness, there are those days when we meet someone who renews our faith in people, otherwise how would we go from day to day.
There are days when I say something positive that comes to my mind to strangers. "You have such a kind smile" or "That colour is great on you". It makes a difference. I think we all want to make a difference. Even if it's a little one. I can't tell you how many times someone has just made my day by making contact in the most minor ways you can imagine, jerking me out of my miserable day and into a brief renewal of belief in human potential.
Like here or here...if I can give myself a shameful little plug...LOL.
What can I say?
I l.o.v.e. kids.

10:15 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Radmila, love your plugs. Wonderful sentiments. That is so wonderful that you compliment people so effortlessly. I must remember to do that though I often don't as I am afraid of the reaction, especially in NY. You know the old, "OK she complimented me - WHAT DOES SHE WANT." But I will give it the ol' college try. Wonderful suggestion,

Thank you for commenting.

11:27 PM  
Blogger Radmila said...

Oh...I forgot to say that I only say it if it's sincere.
If I really think it.
I understand what you're saying about New Yorkers and I get that rarely...of course I choose who I say it to as well. If someone looks like misery personified, I don't bother.
But then the compliment doesn't apply anyway...

11:51 PM  
Blogger BeFrank said...

People are good. Don't believe everything you see on TV news. Wait. . .it's okay to believe news people you can trust. Just remember there are more good people in the world than bad.

5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Just remember there are more good people in the world than bad."

That's a nice thought but I don't agree with that at all. People are inherently selfish and greedy. Most will act amicably until your interests are not the same as their's. I am running short on time to go into this but I think it is a simplistic view to think of people in terms of good and bad. Society and the way all of us behave under its rules is much to complex to give people such one dimensional labels. With that being said, I think TLC is right on the money about how such little acts of kindness can make the difference. It is amazing at how little the act has to be such as opening a door for someone or giving up your seat in the subway.

Chris

6:54 AM  
Blogger Radmila said...

They don't call Chris "Cynical-C" for nothing.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Radmila said...

There's a reason that Chris is called "Cynical-C".
:lol:

3:06 PM  
Blogger Radmila said...

Geez...he's so cynical, I had to say it twice.
Blogger is slow on the pick up.

6:08 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Chris, BeFrank and Radmila, thanks for commenting. I think the spirit of what I wrote embodied the sincerity of random acts of kindness as when they are done, neither participants knows the other, but one wants to impart an act, that is kind, upon a person they have randomly met who is in need at that particular moment. That is a truly sincere act; an act that is done with no strings attached - no hidden agendas. The person who bestowed the act could have done nothing and not have been so giving, but chose to extend themselves to another human being to whom they had no attachment. That is beautiful, and is something that brings a smile to my face.

6:12 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Thomai, those are the moments that matter, and not the nasty ones.

Thanks for commenting.

10:19 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Mo,it is sad, but understandable.

Thanks for commenting.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in NewsGator Online
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >