Thursday, September 09, 2004

The good, the bad, the ugly

I've returned to work. I did so on Tuesday refreshed from my vacation, and happy to be back in my hometown. Whenever I return to NYC after being abroad I always have a new found appreciation for all that it offers. The shopping, the museums, the cultural differences the populations exemplify, etc., are the many things that I appreciate more upon my return. I thought of this as I dressed for work and on my way to the #4 train for my trek into The City from my Bronx apartment. I was on the train reveling in post-vacation exuberance when this woman comes from another car of the train, bangs the door between the two cars shut, and proceeds to scream that she is hungry and wants all the occupants of this particular car to give her money so that she can buy food to feed herself because she may kill herself because SHE was stressed and in a situation. What were supposed to be the whites of her eyes were the color of brown paper bags and she looked like a life long crack user. Everyone's attitudes and thought processes on the train car shifted from individuality into a singular thought process simultaneously, and it blared "I'm not giving you jack," and she was stared down as she walked through the car, individually and quietly asking people to give her money. None complied with her request. She skipped asking me completely when in my vicinity as I guess my vibe was completely readable. The vibe I exuded was,"I have 3 children, and if I can work a penny ante job, so can you." I was very much a NY'er at that moment. I was back.

There was a flood in NYC that rendered much of the transit system immobile. The remnants of the hurricane that hit Florida wrecked NYC trains, and many NY'ers commutes of 45 minutes to their jobs turned into 2 or 3 hours. It always amazes me that the transit system of NYC shuts down when a little flooding and/or snow happens in its areas, but a man can be sent to the moon. The news media reported the many squabbles and murders that have happened in the week of my return to work, and I am amazed at the escalating violence that NY always seems to have. These events, some publicized and some that happened in my own little world, are a welcoming factor as they introduce me to my world of NYC. There is much good, there is much bad, and there is certainly much ugly. But I am happy to be back in NYC. I wouldn't have it any other way.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back to reality :) How do you usually handle panhandlers in the street out of curiosity?

3:38 PM  
Blogger gemmak said...

Welcome back.

I like your style where the woman on the train was concerned :o)

5:10 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Gemack and Anonymous, thanks for your comments and welcoming me back. Anonymous, on the street I often look them in the eyes and say "No, I can't spare anything," and keep moving. Most don't bother me because they can't catch me because I am walking, often briskly to my destination, but the ones on the train sometimes get outlandish because they know they've got you cornered. I had one woman mime her indignation once I told her no to her reuest for money. Picture an older African-American woman neck and eye rolling and stomping her feet, but no verbalizing. I wanted to drop kick her down the subway because she knew I was stuck in the seat. I was beyond upset. She was a regular that begged for years in the train line I rode so the next time and everytime thereafter. I would fold my arms across my chest as soon as she came in the car and let her have my vibe that that one incident of her miming her indignation to me before was her last because I would not stand for another. She always, for about two years thereafter, would quickly go past me and torture others on the trains I was on. Ridiculously sad how one has to brace themselves when entering the transit system and the streets of NY as any ugly ordeal can be brought to you by a perfect stranger. Sad.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in NewsGator Online
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >