Saturday, July 31, 2004

Hannibal The Conqueror

Hannibal The conqueror has always intrigued me, and I am about to take a vacation to follow in his footsteps. I look forward to it as I have pursued many travels to follow and investigate the history of people and places I have admired. Nelson Mandela of South Africa and the Pharaohs of Egypt and the paintings of France have all intrigued me and I have traveled to their lands to try to understand what would foster such beauty.

I am looking forward to being in Tunisia, Africa and Palermo, Italy as they are the lands Hannibal traveled when questing to overthrow a land.

I desperately need a vacation from the life I live here in NYC. It has been exactly a year since my last vacation of sightseeing in South Africa. I am always nervous when going on a trip as I don't know what to expect. It is a good type of nerves as it is one that is anticipating the discoveries of lands I never imagines I would reach as a girl. I hoped to reach them, but thought that it wouldn't happen. Of late, I got that attitude out of my mind and went on my own quest to visit these lands I dreamed of as a child. I also vowed to do these explorations on my own, with no one to accompany me, as that adds to the exhilaration of discovery. I was able to travel great distances and did it alone. On my travels I have met many women who are also traveling alone to these far off places. And we give each other a knowing look. We did it on our own. It is often that friends are asked to accompany such woman on these trips but many excuses are made, some viable and some just make you scratch your head. What is one to do when all who are asked do not want to make the effort to go on a monumental excursion? Do you stay home and hope next year or the next decade is the time when said friend or other friends or family members will go with you or do you take the plunge and do for yourself? I say go for it, and go for it I have.

I am nervous and I am happy to be nervous because I have achieved a dream. I have reached a goal. I'm already thinking about next year's travel. So here's to rejuvenating experiences and here's to achievements!

Aug. 28th I return to The States for more vacation (downtime at home with the family), and then to work September 7th and the dichotomy of my life.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in NewsGator Online
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >