Saturday, August 07, 2004

Screamed On

On Friday, I had an appointment with an optometrist and was the first patient to arrive. When entering the office I encountered the optometrist who greeted me and said when his administrative staff arrived they would do my paperwork so that I may be seen by him, but until that time I should sit and wait as he was the first to arrive to the office. I did so gladly. After a few minutes another patient arrived. She sat and waited without comment to me. The doctor was no where to be found. The first administrative person for the doctor's office arrived shortly and proceeded to go behind the front desk. He looked me in the eye. The other patient went up to him, and started to tell him the reason for her being there, and they went into a discussion. After listening for 10 seconds, I asked all in the room if I were invisible, and the administrative assistant looked at me as I continued with telling him that the patient who was speaking to him was rude as she knew I was there before her, and he was equally if not more rude, to have not greeted us both, and then asked who was to be seen first. He apologized quickly, the rude woman did not, but stepped out of my way, and I proceeded to the front desk and had my paperwork done, and was seen by the optometrist. I reflected on the event as one that was abnormal and consisting of rude people.

I then got ready for my second shift job and arrived ready to work with a good attitude. By 11:20 PM I was being screamed at by a custodian in front of my staff. The incident was very upsetting.

My job is in The Wall Street area on NYC and it is open from 8:00 AM until 12:00 PM during the weekdays. My department's floors, the ones that aren't carpeted, were to be stripped and waxed, unbeknownst to those of us who work at night, during the night shift. There seemed to be no procedure for doing the floors as access to our lunch room and bathrooms was not allowed. Those of us who overlooked the staff were not informed that this process would happen and in addition, that access to the bathroom and lunch room would be denied for 4 hours. Management, I among them, tried to calm the staff who complained of being treat like sweat shop workers just a quarter mile away from the Statue of Liberty and the irony of such during this situation. We managed to calm them down, and talked to the custodial staff who we told had to have the floors back to a place that would allow our staff to walk upon without someone slipping between the times of 11:00 and 11:30 PM as we needed to have staff clock-out and use the facilities and then have them leave the building. We were greeted with a negative attitude from the custodial staff, but they were told they had no choice as it was unacceptable that we were not told before hand that things such as water and bathroom facilities would not be available for 4 hours, and that as such, they had to make these things available for a least some minutes as we were human beings deserving of respect. They grudgingly obliged verbally. Many of us in management felt we were allowing the custodial staff more latitude than they deserved, I among them, as they had not followed any procedures when buffing the floors that would have allowed a measure of dignity for the workers in them having, at least, minimal access to bathrooms and libation. But all in management tried to make the best of a terrible situation by not being argumentative with the custodial staff in front of the subordinates that we supervise.

11:00 PM arrived and many ran to the bathroom and lunch room for the much needed breaks. I, at 11:20 also took the opportunity to use the facilities and encountered a wet floor that had a gloss like substance on it. I gingerly took two steps on my heels and entered the bathroom. When I came out a custodian was standing in the only doorway by which I could use to get back to my desk, and he was screaming at the top of his lungs, "What did I say!!!! What did I say!!!" while clapping his hands on every syllable. I could not believe I was being spoken to in such a disrespectful manner. I blinked with rage while I stood in the doorway of the bathroom and was thinking to myself how I was going to get away from this guy who was standing in the only exit. A co-worker pushed him out of the way and stood in front of him and beckoned me to take her hand while I navigated the two steps across the slippery hallway. While we were doing that, the custodian continued to scream, while she and I passed him through the narrow doorway, in our ears, and he was joined by others in the custodian staff in screaming admonishments to me for stepping on a floor that we were told would be dry. I was internally counting to ten as I thought I would explode with rage at being addressed that way. I needed to get away from the initiator of the verbal attack as I thought I would attack him with my fists. By that time the two others of the management staff arrived and were verbalizing their amazement at the custodians' disregard for etiquette when dealing with people. The initiator and another custodian responded to the managers' statement with the question of who was in charge. They wanted to know who was the senior manager on the floor, to which everyone pointed to me. I then saw the fear in the custodians' eyes. It was an "Uh Oh" moment. I unleashed, in my most Kings English verbiage, that should I not receive an apology in the next 60 seconds I would be in their boss' office bright an early on Monday, and give him or her an earful as to the mistreatment I and my staff had received, in particular me, as I was screamed at for daring to use a bathroom that I had been denied access to for 4 hours. I got my apology several times. Certainly it was not heartfelt, but rather, given, out of fear.

Many times when I encounter people who think it is OK to be rude and disrespectful to me, it is a person that does not see me. I am invisible to them and as such can be treated disrespectful. I am invisible in that I am a person who, in their mind, cannot bring forth repercussions for their rudeness. If I am screamed at or ignored I will not do anything that will bring about any consequences. I am thought of as a powerless. I am a woman. I am African-American. And I am therefore thought of as powerless. I am not thought of as a person deserving of respect. I am not thought of as an African-American woman who should be respected because I am a human being. I, when subjected to episodes like the two I had on Friday, was reminded of the imbecilic thought process of some that I encounter in my everyday life. I try to fight this inconceivable notion that I am invisible, and it is always hard. Usually, when I speak to them and sprout the words that tell them I will not tolerate disrespect or they find out that I am in a management position on my job, they acquiesce and become respectful, but not because they see the error of their ways, but because they are fearful of the consequences I may bring to them.

It is not comforting that I get respect after such incidents because of fear, as the most desirable respect would come about because the person noted the error of their ways, re-focused, and began to act appropriately. But I will take the respect however I get it. I just hope the next time all concerned will deal with the next person respectfully because they are deserving of such. The respect will come forth because they are a person who rightfully derserves it. I am forever hopeful.


10 Comments:

Blogger Fresh said...

I love it when they feel they have the "privilege" of being served first. I've experienced things like the doctor's office situation several times. All they can do is smack their lips and step off. I find it more prevalent in certain parts of the city.

I wish someone could have recorded that guy's face when everyone pointed at you. How dare he speak to you like a child. I hope you reported him...your counterparts would have in a heartbeat had it happened to them ;-)

2:27 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Thanks Berry and Buttercup for commenting. It is difficult to deal with those who themselves feel invisible and want to project that on to you, or those who jump in front of someone to be first. The custodians were reported in e-mail and verbally. Since then the custodians have been especially respectful around me. If they had just done that from the beginning. Geesh!

5:08 PM  
Blogger Marn said...

So where does color or being a woman come into the issue? I'm not seeing it.

I have also been "in line first" and have had someone taken care of before me. I am white. The other person in the doctor's office went up to the desk. You did not. When someone comes up to the desk, the person at the desk is obligated to talk to them. Do you know if it was an emergency? (Not all emergencies can be seen outwardly.) Maybe she didn't have an appointment but was told to come in first thing in the morning. You never know. She could have had blurred vision and dizziness, for example. An optometrist would want to see this person immediately. There may be grave health concerns. He may have wanted to see her and then order a carotid ultrasound. Surgery may have been imminent. Who knows? I'm not saying this to be spiteful. People just don't understand these things or don't think about them before acting. I once had a woman come up to the desk and scream at me because her son needed an x-ray and all these people were being called to the desk first and they came AFTER her! She was so angry! I said, "Yes, they may have been here first, but we do many different exams in radiology. Two people were called for ultrasounds, which is a scheduled appointment. One person had a nuc med exam-also scheduled. The CT department also had patients checking in. Not all these people are here for general x-rays." She just stood there and then said, "Oh," and walked away. No apology. She had thought that everyone that was called and went down the same hallway was being taken care of before her. That was an incorrect assumption. I'm only telling you this because after that episode, I told myself that I would never do what that woman did. I would try to think "outside the box" in the even that I was missing something.

As for the custodial staff - they are treated like "bottom of the barrel" by everyone. How many times do you think this has happened to this man, to make him that angry? You walked on his freshly waxed floor. (Yes, you had a right to use the bathroom.) Do you know how hard it is to repair that? I have seen them do it at work. They have to re-strip the entire area and re-wax it. This can take hours. Maybe he thought that you just didn't give a crap because it was just a floor and they could do it over. I'm sure he, being a custodian, has been "walked-on" many times. Also, no one ever bothered to mention to you or your staff that this was going to take place. Do you think that made him feel good about his job? So worthless that it is easy to forget about? That no one even mentioned it to you? Many times, people just don't realize how time-consuming and how much effort is put into things like waxing a floor. I'm not saying he was right...I'm saying that I can understand his frustration.

I have also been "yelled at" at work by nursing staff and/or doctors (for things totally out of my control) and have had the same reaction when I tell them that I am in charge after 5:00 p.m. When they realized that I was the only one who could help them, they sure got friendly, and fast!

One last thing. When someone shows disrespect to you, think about this. Maybe his/her parent died recently. Maybe they were just diagnosed with cancer, or a spouse was. Maybe they are having grave financial problems. Maybe they are already angry inside from things like this, before they come across you. Maybe it is just directed at you because you happen to be there. It may not have anything to do with you at all.

No, I'm not saying any of this to anger you. I'm not saying someone was right and someone was wrong. I'm saying it to open people's eyes. Never assume. Think first, act later. There may be extenuating circumstances that you have never thought about.

8:15 AM  
Blogger TLC said...

MJ

I understand your points but I don't agree with you. And please never think I believe you are saying things out of anger or any other negative thoughts. I know your speaking from the heart.

I've worked in a medical center in the South Bronx and remember being screamed at and disrespected by the patients because they thought they were being seen by persons before them, so I can relate. However I would always acknowledge those who were there promtly and make them aware of certain situations. The guy ignored me and didn't ask why I was there. I am not an aggressive person and thought it disrespectful that he awarded and agressive and disrespectful person with attention. Also the woman should have acknowledged me and asked if she could go ahead of me. She did not, so in my mind she is being rude to me. Being polite would have alleviated any perceived disrespect on both of their parts, and ultimately the woman didn't have an emergency, he made her sit down and he dealt with me. She was being rude. If I had not said anything I would have thought that I had not spoken up for myself, and I have to protect who I am as a person.

The custodian was to have informed senior management on the floor (me) that the waxing was to be down. For two days he did not. That's completely wrong. I overlooked it. When I and other Managers went to him and said we needed to use the bathroom and the lunch room it was agreed that the floors would be dry from 11:00 PM to 11:30. When I went, it was 11:20, and there was no turning around for me once I saw the bathroom door. I do think that many ism were evident in these situation - racism and sexism.

Great debate MJ. I appreciate your comments.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog. Just wish you would update more frequentingly :)

4:09 PM  
Blogger Marn said...

Me, too! (As in update, update!)
I checked your blog because I haven't seen it update and I thought, "She has to have updated it by now..." No such luck. Well, it's almost bedtime. Maybe I will wake up tomorrow morning, put on a pot of coffee and sit down in front of the computer to find that you have a brand new post. Now that would be the beginning to a great day. hint hint

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I have been reading your blog for awhile now and I think it is great but I am worried because you haven't updated your blog in ages. I pray to the Lord Savior Jesus Christ that you are fine and will be updating again soon.

Peace be with you

4:11 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Thanks Thomai for your words of wisdom. Grace and culture are key in treating people the way they should be treated. Thanks MJ and Anonymous (the 2 of you?) for your concern. You guys are wonderful! I was on vacation from 2 weeks traveling. I am a better person for it. I will be posting soon.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot you said you were taking a vacation. I was worried too. You know how our minds can go right to the worst. Glad you are okay.

Berry

6:16 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Xquizzyt1, you hit the nail right on the head. You so get it. Blogging about stuff like this allows for a release. So, get to blogging as I look forward to hearing your wise words. Thanks for commenting.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in NewsGator Online
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >