Saturday, July 24, 2004

Contemplation

This Saturday afternoon I sit and contemplate my view of The Statue of Liberty.  I work directly across from her in The Wall Street area of NYC.  The Statue of Liberty has persisted as a symbol of freedom for many throughout the ages.
 
I remember seeing The Lady of The Harbor and it having an impact on me like it had never before as a 16 year old shortly after moving out of my parents home.  I worked in the Wall Street area also at that time, long ago.  I, at that time, upon viewing the statue, knew that I was an adult at an age that many perceived me to be a child.  I did not, at that age, look, act, talk or walk like a child.  I had experienced so much negativity by the age of 16, much of that experience was shoved upon me by my parents, and it necessitated me getting away from them.  And at that impactful viewing of The Statue of Liberty, when I realized I was on my own in the world, I knew I had to be an adult, and the viewing solidified my belief that I knew I would be up for the challenge.  I knew that I had no adult to rely on (not that I had any to rely on when I was living at home) or to talk to.  I was on my own for the long haul.  Certainly I could not fare any worse in taking care of myself than my parents had done of taking care of me up until that point.  I did not have a moment's trepidation during that time of upheaval as I knew nothing could befall me that would propel me back to my parents' home.
 
Suffice to say, I have not stepped foot in the house of my childhood but for one Christmas.   I attribute my stubbornness in not returning often to my childhood home to prove the point that I could survive without returning to the place of my discontent.  I could and did survive living without the support of those who were supposed to protect me.
 
Seeing the Statue of Liberty from my view point in Battery Park City on that day shortly after I left my parents home was a beautiful experience.  I looked across the harbor and saw hope.  The Lady of the Harbor represents a symbol as she is viewed by all who see her upon arrival from far away lands be they from the 1800's on ships pulling into ports or from airplanes as they circle to land at JFK airport in the 2000's.   The Lady is a symbol of freedom to all who view her.  She represents freedom from whatever oppressor has subjugated the person who gazes upon her. I viewed her in a similar way because she represents freedom to live without feeling frightened or neglected.  The Statue of Liberty has represented throughout time the ability for one to make it despite the odds.  I look at The Lady as I write these words some twenty years later and know that I beat all the odds 
 
 

6 Comments:

Blogger Fresh said...

Nice :-)

9:12 PM  
Blogger Radmila said...

She is handsome.
I say that because her beauty is in the strength of her features and frame.

Nice post.

11:11 PM  
Blogger gemmak said...

A wonderful post.

You live and work in a place that I have as yet never seen despite a lifelong wish to do so. I envy you for the fact alone that you can see the Statue of Liberty!

I would like to link to your blog, is that ok with you?

8:51 AM  
Blogger Marn said...

Niiice! I have never been NYC but I have always wanted to visit the Statue of Liberty. I have gotten close, though. A flight that I had taken was re-routed and on the way home, we went past WI (my destination) and had to transfer at LaGuardia! I was pointing out the window and more or less making a scene because I wanted the kids to see the Statue of Liberty out the window of the plane...and we did! Funny how something like that can mean so much. While waiting to board the next plane, I ran down the terminal to grab a hot dog at a small stand. Why? So that I could say that I saw the Statue of Liberty and ate a NY hot dog! Sounds a bit tacky when comparing it to your poetic blog, but all in all, means the same.

5:41 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Thanks for your great comments everyone. It is appreciated. The Statue of Liberty is such a fantastic monument.

Gemmak, that would be so great. And if I may, I will do the same with yours.

8:21 PM  
Blogger gemmak said...

No problem, feel free to link to me and thank you :o)

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in NewsGator Online
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >