Sunday, December 05, 2004

Marginal

I am often on the trains of NYC, and as such, am witness to many who are deemed marginal. I ride the train after paying my fare as a means of transport to my home, and not to hear sob stories. But often, I am forced to see and hear the stories of those who beg for a living, telling their stories of ineptitude. They speak of tragedies that have left them bereft, of employment and of hope. They speak often of hoplessness, and the need for those of us, who are their unwilling audience, to give them money because of their storytelling. The stories, upon dissecting, are many times unbelievable. I have seen one woman who has been pregnant for about ten years, continually, and uses this condition to garner sympathy so that commuters will open their pockets and wallets. I believe she just has a fat stomache. There is a couple who had a child burn in a fire and need money to bury their child. They have been telling this same story for ten years on the #4 train line of NYC. All of those that I have mentioned and the vast majority of those that I witness begging are obvioulsy addicted to drink and/or drugs.

I find these situations that are forced upon me as outrageous. Often during my commute it is the first time that I am able to sit still for 45 minutes. I try to use the time to plan. So I think and ponder what I must do. I think of the most mundane to the most important decisions of my life on these train rides. Many of these ponderings involve my thinking of how I am going to budget my money. My money is often too short to cover my budget, and thus, to have someone get on a car of a train I am occupying and loudly tell of their financial woes so that I and others on the car will give them money is preposterous to me.

NYC Transit has done studies on their ridership, and a good percentage are poor folk who can barely afford to pay for their own upkeep, let alone give money to person who are highly suspect, upon receipt of such money, to buy drink or drug with said funds. Times are hard for everyone and are made harder by those taking an inappropriate opportunity to jump in the faces of those on a train ride to beg for money when the pockets of those from whom they are begging are as empty as the beggars. The hard working people of NYC who ride transit are not on a train for a free ride (figuratively and literally) like the beggars. They are coming and going to jobs and are not looking for hand-outs. Beggars make harder an often already arduous commute with their stories of ineptitude.

15 Comments:

Blogger Radmila said...

Between these people, those that beg for charities stationed in front of stores, and those that come via co-workers who are collecting for their childrens various fundraising efforts, not to include all the obligatory "pitch ins" at work for baby showers, weddings, birthdays and so on...if I gave money to everyone who asked me to donate, my entire paycheque would be absorbed with it.

My husbands company has taken a step by disallowing people to canvas for their children's fundraising efforts for the simple and true reason that not everyone can afford to contribute to everything.
It puts pressure on people who can ill afford to do it. If your workplace has upwards of 30 people, it can be a daily shakedown for money.
My point went a little off topic, but I find the other akin to begging as well, and have witnessed the person who cannot afford to do it every time made to feel something less for not participating every time.
It's not what is said to them, it's a persons intrinsic want to contribute, and inability to do so that causes those feelings.

8:19 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Radmila, your comment is so on point, and not at all off the topic. When it comes to people in the office, I have no problem telling them no.

There is one notoriously shady guy in my office who actually collected money for his child's fundraising effort through candy sales, and went the date came up to distribute the candy, he acted as if nothing was happening. When those who contributed finally brought the topic up he alluded that his son opened up over two hundred dollars worth of candy, and as such, he woulddn't be able to give them their candy. There was an uproar for about two days until two brave souls confronted him on payday and made him give back everyone's money.

When asking for persons to contribute money there is appropriate behavior that is often not exhibited.

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't see too many beggars on the subway but I work in Harvard Square in Cambridge and I cannot walk 10 feet before somebody is asking for change or to donate to some charity. They are always the same people day after day for years. Some of them are dressed fine and look like they have more money than me.

I agree with Rada that if I were to give a quarter to everyone who asked me for change each day that I would have no money left in my check and would be out there with them begging for change.

I have a strict family/friends rule in place right now meaning the only people I am able to help right now are those I know and care for. And if I did happen upon a windfallw here I could help people I would donate legitimate charities and homeless shelters, not to the shady character in the street.

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, that last post was mine.

Chris

10:10 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Chris, I agree with you on the prioritizing when giving. It should always be for the ones closest to you.

Thanks for commenting.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Meredith Peruzzi said...

This doesn't happen at all on the DC subway. I've ridden the NYC subway plenty of times so I do know exactly what you're talking about. But this never happens in my hometown of DC. The Metro Transit Police would probably arrest the beggar immediately, so they just don't try it.

11:26 AM  
Blogger TLC said...

I wish we had DC type police in NYC. LOL!

Thanks, Meredith, for commenting.

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TLC, I just have to say that you write beautifully.
I plan on stopping by often :)

Thanks,

miss fitsandstarts
http://www.fitsandstarts.org/blog

12:48 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Thanks missfitsandstarts.

I plan to do the same at your blog also.

Thanks for commenting.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Marn said...

I know what you are talking about but my experience with it was on the public buses in Milwaukee, WI. I used to take the city bus to UW-Milwaukee every day. It was a one hour commute (at least) one way. So, two solid hours on the bus every day. I hated to be the type of person to wall myself off from others, but I learned very quickly to put on my headphones and listen to cds on the way to school. Even when my batteries wore out, I'd leave the headphones on!
I've seen some documentaries on public t.v. that desribe the lives of people who live on the street and beg for money. What amazed me, is how much money they actually took in! One "bag lady" begged on street corners every day and said that she lived in a cardboard box at night. She had the usual down-on-my-luck story. Turns out, she made so much money begging that she really "lived" in a very nice hotel EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. One man that was shown, made upwards of $400 per day, as he was followed around the city. Each person had his/her own technique for making money and new what corner to frequent. If a police officer made the person move, they moved to another street but always came back to the original corner within a short period of time. My eyes were really opened after I saw the first documentary on this. It's really too bad because it causes my to be cynical when there are some people out there who really need help and have TRUE stories to tell. It's sad.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Nominal Me said...

Wow. This is a really honest post. Homelessness is on the rise, and is much more public than when Giuliani was mayor. Is it systematic, or economic? It's really hard to say.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Karama said...

There are things you can do to change this situation. Check out some ideas at sowhatcanido.blogspot.com. Blessings to all.

3:17 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Thanks Nominal Me and Karama for commenting.

4:17 PM  
Blogger darekaaron said...

The one thing to keep in mind is that most of these "storytellers" are in the grips of addiction, or are clinically insane. Handing out money only applies a transparent bandage to thier wounds. I have no answers to offer; I feel as helpless about helping them as they do about helping themselves.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

January 17, 2005
Was surfing the net to find if anyone posted information on a pregnant woman riding the NYC Trains begging for money and came upon this one. So sad that such people have been around for about 10yrs according to the original posting. About 3 years ago I met this woman on the 8th avenue train line(The E train). 2 years ago saw her on the Lexington avenue line (4/5 Train).A week ago saw her on the the 7th Avenue Train line (2/3 Train) With the same sad sorry "Dramatic" look on her face. Dunno if she comes out yearly or what to keep it believable....So I've thought to myself either she seems to get herself pregnant pretty regularly or had got herself a pretty big stomach or "something" that works for her. She has a scar on the left side of her face. Dark hair and walks as if the world is on her shoulders. DO NOT GIVE HER MONEY! Like I unfortunately did......Also I've decided in the past to offer food instead of money when I have. And tell those who ask me directly my policy is to only offer food. Those who perhaps are the genuine ones will take it. Those who aren't will as well to maintain the reputation of being someone in need.

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in NewsGator Online
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >