Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Day.of.Infamy

I am the grandaughter, paternal and maternal, of men who fought in wars of yesteryear, and thinking of what December 7 signifies to many forces me to take a moment and reflect. I have often wondered what my grandfathers thought when they were headed out, to serve in the army? Were they afraid? Were they concerned not only of the enemy but of the treatment they would receive from their commanding officers? What were their feelings when they returned home, and did they feel more patriotic because of their service, or less, or indifferent?

Both enlisted, and served in wars I've never heard them discuss. Performed tours never discussed. I've seen pictures of my paternal grandfather in uniform, and but for these and visiting my maternal granfather in a veteran hospital in which he was a patient and understanding that he could only be there because he was a veteran, would have never known, seen, or heard evidence of their enlistments.

I am from stock that served in The US Army, and this day reminds me of them and their service, and of many others who did, and are, enlisted.

1 Comments:

Blogger TLC said...

Flirtingwithlife, thanks for commenting.

I plan to visit your blog also.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in NewsGator Online
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >