Sunday, May 01, 2005

Disparity

My oldest son and I went shopping on 34th Street today. We went directly to Macy's as I had an all day pass acquired from a friend of a friend whose wife works there and who had a 20% coupon on every purchase all day. We had a great time shopping and he was very happy with his purchases. I paid for all the purchases with my debit card and really put a hurting on it. Everyone was personable and pleasant.

On the trek home to The Bronx, my oldest wanted to purchase a few more items from a sports store and we proceeded to chose items and go to the check out counter. When the debit card was presented I was asked for ID. I asked the young lady why I would need ID for a debit card. She gave some lame excuse, and I then proceeded to ask does she ask everyone who presented a debit card for ID, and she stated yes. I asked for what reason and she said for security reasons. I was well aware what her answer would be but was feeling mischievous.

It is so funny the difference between Manhattan and The Bronx and the way in which their respective merchants treat their patrons. One's institutions treats its customers with the respect they are due, and the other, like they are common thieves. And if I had purchased said items with cash in The Bronx, no questions would have been asked, instead all that would have happened is the snatching of the 20 dollar bill out of my hand and the chi-chinging of the register's resounding ring in my ear, and not the question, "ID, please" for the purchase of items worth less than 20 dollars.

I love The Bronx but some of its hang-ups and the manifestation of such really irritate me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Radmila said...

As a victim of fraud (twice), I thank all cashiers who check my signature or ask for ID.
I recently had one of my credit cards renewed and on the back where the signature is supposed to be, I wrote:
Please ask for photo ID.
I have used that card 3 times without anyone asking for anything.
I know what you are saying in this post, but I think this practice should be commonplace for our own protection.
Identity theft is on the rise and if you've ever met anyone dealing with the lexicon of crap that goes along with proving that you are not the person committing fraud and ruining your own credit...well, I'm sure you get the picture.
I am someone who hopes that the cashier will take the extra moment to make sure I'm who I say I am.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Fresh said...

Hey, I may have seen you! I was down there Sunday too. I forgot my 20% coupon though so I left empty handed.

7:46 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

Radmila, I hear ya'. I certainly wouldn't mind if there was a uniform way of doing things involving credit, at all instituitions. I guess I feel like because I am a buyer in The Bronx it is assumed there is a greater possibility of my being a thief than when I buy items usually of greater value in MAnhattan, and therein lies the difference in how I am treated when using anything other than cash.

Berry, that is such a bummer. I completely understand how that can happen as I had a death grip on my coupon the whole way there. LOL!

Thanks for commenting!

8:25 PM  
Blogger Sapphire Soul said...

I wouldn't get too excited over it. A lot of stores have policies requiring cashiers to check ID for anyone using plastic of any kind.

Maybe they do feel the need to better protect their customers in the Bronx. Maybe you could look at it as a positive - they're doing it for your protection, not because they think you are a thief.

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in NewsGator Online
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >